Knights in Shining Armor

Many students here at North are taking action and going out of their way to help other students and local organizations outside of school as volunteers.
“The main place I volunteer at is PADS. It is an organization made to help provide meals and shelter to homeless families and individuals,” said junior Ashley Garver.
Another place called Feed My Starving Children is looking for volunteers to help bag food for the children in less fortunate areas around the world who are starving.
“I continuously volunteer at PADS, but I also sometimes volunteer at Feed My Starving Children,” said junior Lauren Mateling.
At these places there are plenty of things that need to get done in order to help as many people as they can. There are many jobs that need taking care of, but they have students and citizens that help all the time.
“There are so many things we do at PADS. We set up beds, set up the dining area, and help make and serve food. Some of us also hand out toiletries and clothing, or watch and play with the children,” Garver said.
Here at North, there is a class called PSP that is based around helping others. The students involved in that class have to get a certain amount of service hours in a certain amount of time.
“I volunteer about 10 hours a month. I earn this through PSP and volunteering with members in my class,” said junior Emma Indlecoffer.
There are many ways to get involved and help others in the community. There are people in need of support and help, and anyone could help out. There are different hours that people can volunteer for. It doesn’t take long to make a difference in someone’s life. One doesn’t have to stay the entire time, but it’s always helpful to stay as long as one can.
For PADS [I stay] from 5 pm till 11 pm every Monday, so it’s not a crazy amount of hours,” Mateling said. “I highly recommend helping out and volunteering more towards everyone because it really does help boost your esteem and make a difference.”