Study tables discontinued for athletes

Starting on October 30, students involved in sports no longer have to participate in study tables. Because of the problems with transportation, new ways of helping student athletes keep their grades up have been instituted.
“I think this is a positive change for the students because it takes them out of study tables and gets them more direct help, which is what they need in the first place,” said history teacher and varsity boys basketball coach Todd Grunloh.
With the old system, students who could not drive or were in zero hour had no way to get to the study sessions on time.
“Instead of coming in school at 7a.m. with a teacher that doesn’t specialize in the class they’re struggling with, they can go get help with a teacher or student who can help with the class they are actually struggling with,” said athletic director Tina Woolard.
With the new system, students plan meetings with their teachers or student tutors during their free time rather than coming early in the morning.
“They could do it during free periods, lunch hours, before school and after school rather than having to meet Tuesday and Thursday in the morning. This allows the students to find times in their own schedule to receive the help that they need,” Grunloh said.
Students Who Achieve Together (SWAT) is a program that has students helping students who are struggling. The Academic Resource Center (ARC) is also place where students can get help from teachers.
“Students can go to SWAT or the ARC twice a week and get a form signed, or they can meet one on one with a teacher,” Woolard said.
Not only does the new policy encourage students to work to stay in their sports, but teachers hope that students develop a better work ethic.
“I like the study tables being replaced with the forms because it holds the student athletes accountable for getting the help they need. With this new system, I have more students asking to come in for help, which is wonderful,” said math teacher and sophomore volleyball coach Jill Grunloh.