PSP adds Service Pillar

Grayslake North recently added a new addition to the school’s service projects; this time the project is located where it can be seen by all.
“The official name is the Pillar of Service; it’s the pillar of our community,” Roxanne Bristow said.
A group of teachers came up with the idea and design with help from Roxanne Bristow’s Public Service Practicum.
“We started talking about creating it early in the school year. Mrs. Bristow and the PSP students helped by coming up with the specific plans, designing the parts of the pillar, and procuring the supplies. Our wonderful maintenance staff put it all up,” social studies department chair Christopher Kubic said.
The pillar has four sides that each have a certain purpose. Two sides are for upcoming service opportunities, another for the words ‘celebrate #GNHSGivesback’, and the last side has a place to hold papers with upcoming service opportunity information.
“I’d love to see students create these positive moments. Student led ideas are more influential in my opinion,” said senior Madison Sepanik.
The pillar wall also has a twitter page, @GNpublicservice, that’s helped to promote the positive celebrations happening at North.
“Our Twitter page is to promote additional celebrations of service. We want to leave a positive digital footprint,” Bristow said.
The Pillar of Service is coordinated by PSP and staff members who’ve helped create the board.
“Anyone can have pictures or information put on the board. The point is to publicize and celebrate community service,” Kubic said.
The Pillar of Service has students and staff excited to see what the Knights can bring to the table.
“I think it’s incredibly positive to show what we can do and celebrate the great things our students do around the school and community,” Sepanik said.
Check up on the upcoming service opportunities that are listed on the Pillar of Service and spreading the hashtag, #GNHSGivesback.