Students train, learn skills for future careers

Students enrolled in Lake County’s program receive a hands-on approach to learning, Pictured is a student engaged in a conversation with his peers regarding subject material.

Every day, students are moving past the walls of North to experience college courses and expand their learning at Lake County High Schools Technology Campus.
“The campus gives you a chance to leave the school and take a college course,” said senior Alexandra Carmichael.
At the tech campus, there are more activities, and it’s not all about sitting in a classroom listening to lectures.
“Tech is definitely more hands-on with more activities throughout the school year,” said junior Madalynn Hanna.
In the courses, there are more hands-on activities than here at North, but they still have those lecture parts of the class.
“We do services on people who come in such as cutting hair, coloring hair, perms, relaxers, braids, etc. We also do manicures and pedicures, massages, waxing, and makeup. Then there’s the classroom portion of cosmetology where we take tests, complete notes and do practicals,” said senior Alixandra Wilson.
Courses offered at the campus have many different levels and difficulties. Students are able to take a wide variety of courses within the same subject.
“I’ve been cooking since I was three. I took Foods I, Foods II, Bakery, and International Foods,” Hanna said.
Some students who are taking classes at the campus have been enrolled for multiple years. Many enjoy their courses and would stay enrolled if they had the opportunity.
“Overall, I’m glad I picked Cosmetology and wouldn’t have it any other way,” Wilson said.
Students enrolled are taking college level classes and are saving time and money because they have an early start for college.
“You get ahead, and then I don’t have to take some classes when I graduate because the credits transfer over,” Carmichael said.
Some students want to try different courses at the campus to expand their knowledge even more.
“I would change courses so I have more experience in different things,” Hanna said.
Many tech students don’t confine themselves in a classroom either; they go out and do things in the community that help the students learn better.
“This year, we are going to be going to the nursing home and working with the elderly,” Carmichael said.
Students are able to list tech on their college applications, because it shows that they have started on the path to expand their educations and get a head start on their careers.
“It’s good for college applications, and when a college looks at it, they’ll see you have had more experience,” said senior Erianne Thedorf.
The teachers demonstrate activities more at the campus than here at North, especially in Culinary Arts.
“My teacher demoed one of our cooking assignments and showed us how to make cookies,” said junior Jesse Schopen.
While at the campus, they have more human resources for their specific course. There are qualified human resources that have mastered their specific course and are now spreading their knowledge to the students.
“There are more teachers at the campus for one subject. We have three chefs for culinary,” Hanna said.
As students return to North from the campus, many share their adventures with friends. Many recommend taking courses through the campus to younger students here at North to try something new and challenge themselves beyond the typical classroom curriculum.

“I would definitely recommend taking the courses to younger students,” Hanna said.