Students, faculty find changes in new year

As students and faculty return to North for the 2015-2016 school year, they are learning the new rules implemented this year.
One of the biggest changes for students this year was the removal of sophomore transition and the addition of a junior/senior lounge in the cafeteria.
“Sophomore transitions was put into place at the original Grayslake High School. The reason behind it was completely space issues, but it carried over to North after the split. Last year, we finally made the decision through a space study that we had enough room for the sophomores to have a full lunch period that could be spent in the cafeteria, thanks to a new junior and senior lounge area that we created in the cafeteria to make extra space,” said principal Dr. James Roscoe.
Freshmen will still be attending transition, but sophomores now have the freedom to get academic help, go to the library or be with friends in the cafeteria during the entire 50 minute period.
“This was kind of a no-brainer for us. We had the space, and we knew that sophomores were leaving transition anyways so this just made sense,” said associate principal Megan Licht.
When creating new rules, Dr. Roscoe looks to students for inspiration, using their experiences to create a better learning environment.
“The process for new rules often begins through principal advisory. There is a group of students that meet with me to discuss the good and the bad, and if there’s something that I can help change or make better and it’s a feasible idea, then we work on a game plan,” Roscoe said.
It’s this kind of student-teacher collaboration that makes Grayslake North the wonderful school that it is. Over the summer, GNHS was ranked among the best high schools in Illinois. The ranking reflects the hard work of students and faculty throughout the years.
“I think that this ranking highlights the successes that we have had here at Grayslake North. We work hard here, and this really goes back to our community. It’s a celebration of teachers, students and the community coming together as a whole to work hard and make sure that students can continue to learn and improve. It also allows us to set important goals. Maybe this year we did well, but next year we just want to improve, to get better and we have no doubt that we will be able to do so in the years to come,” said associate principal Jeff Shagrin.