Seniors celebrate last month of school

As the snow finally melts and the sun shines down, seniors are beginning to feel the effects of “senioritis,” and if the weather isn’t enough, the senior countdown, Prom and senior celebration banquets and breakfasts are approaching quickly.
“The seniors are [participating in] the ABC Countdown to celebrate the last 26 days of school before senior finals. Their parents met to begin planning the senior breakfast, which is held the morning of graduation practice. The seniors are also working to put together the senior slideshow, which is a movie of pictures from freshman-senior year. We show this movie during the breakfast,” said senior class co-sponsor Denise Franta.
While seniors are busy enjoying their last month of school, behind the scenes, administrators are busy preparing for the actual graduation ceremony, which will take place on Sunday, May 17.
“Planning starts months in advance. Mrs. Utinans basically runs everything, from the caps and gowns to establishing the line up for the ceremony, organizing the faculty and student speakers and even indicating which students will be graduating,” said principal Dr. James Roscoe.
Additionally, on May 2, some juniors and seniors attended the annual Prom dance. This year it was held on the Odyssey Cruise Ship off of Navy Pier in Chicago.
“Prom is always such a great event for the seniors to attend. It’s their last school dance, and it’s especially fun for them to go on a boat. Prom is something you only get to do in high school, and when it’s on a boat, it’s really a once in a lifetime experience,” said math teacher Jodi Sokolowski, who organizes Prom each year with co- junior class sponsor Jill Grunloh. “Prom is something the seniors will always remember about their high school experience.”
In addition, in the days leading up to graduation, the athletic awards banquet, academic and citizenship awards celebration and specific recognitions in students’ activities will take place. Also, based off the seniors class vote, staff member Erin Wise will be representing the staff in a speech at the ceremony and JoAnn Galluzi, Steve Colletti, Julia Burkel and Cher Schwartz will be name readers.
“It was truly an honor to be chosen,” Wise said. “Over the last two years I have had the privilege of getting to know many of the students in the Class of 2015, and what I’m most nervous about is making you all proud and doing your class justice. I have such respect for you and for what you all have already accomplished that I hope I can highlight those achievements as we kick off the next stage of your journey.”
As each day means a step closer toward the seniors’ future, they are reminded to enjoy themselves.
“I hope that students have no regrets. Sometimes it’s too easy to take the month off and just skate by, but I encourage them to honor and cherish each day they have left, live in the present and enjoy their last few days as a high school student,” Roscoe said.