New officers, members inducted into NHS

As the school year draws to a close, National Honor Society hosted their annual induction ceremony to officially swear in the officers elect and inaugurate new members.
The new vice presidents are Jane Yun, Abby Rice, Joe Kizhakkadathu, Sivani Gullapalli and Hanna Kherzai, who will all be assisting the new president of NHS, Aidan Einloth.
“To be chosen by your peers to represent them is such a great opportunity,” said officer Joe Kizhakkadathu.
NHS is a well known club at GNHS that focuses on service work and bettering the community.
“We volunteer at the local libraries, park districts, and other places like senior homes. We also help at the school with programs like SWAT that give extra peer help with classes,” said president Aidan Einloth.
The induction ceremony was held on April 29, 2015, in the school cafeteria. Past officers gave speeches that focused on the four cornerstones of NHS: character, scholarship, service and leadership.
“The induction ceremony honors the new inductees as well as is the moment where the past officers pass the torch to the new officers. This is their last official NHS activity and the new officers’ first activity. The officers give speeches on character, service and leadership before reading the names of those selected. After the ceremony, there is a reception to celebrate the new members,” said NHS sponsor Erin Wise.
In order to be accepted to join NHS, students must submit applications describing their service and leadership within the community. Students also must uphold at least a 3.5 GPA.
“Everyone does not get accepted to NHS, but the decision is made by a board of teachers who look at the students’ GPA, volunteer work, and behavior in school,” Einloth said.
Students who join NHS can see that it is a wonderful use of their time to give back to their communities through an organization that focuses on helping others selflessly.
“I am very happy that I made it into NHS, and I can not wait to see what I can do to help my community through service. It is such a wonderful thing to be associated with and I am very proud,” said sophomore inductee Jacquelyn Garza.