Operation Click awards students for safe driving

Operation Click is starting another year of informing students about safe driving habits and making healthy choices at GNHS.
“(Operation Click is) a campaign to get students to wear their seatbelts while they are in their car and to drive without distractions,” said life fitness department chair Tim Hough.
Operation Click has been around for four years.
“A police officer from Crystal Lake, Shawn McGrath, came up with Operation Click,” said student assistance coordinator Diane Busch.
Operation Click does many things with the student body that encourages students to stay safe when they are on the road.
“We do a lot of safe driving awareness campaigns around the school,” said club sponsor Nikki Kirchway.
Operation Click is done for the benefit of the student body.
“We think it’s important to keep kids safe and to keep repeating the message that once you start driving, you have so much responsibility, not just for yourself but for other passengers, drivers, and pedestrians,” Busch said.
Many people have a busy schedule, yet Operation Click has a very flexible schedule.
“It’s not a huge time commitment. If you can come, you can make it. If not, it’s fine. We want kids to be able to spread positive influences to other kids,” Kirchway said.
Both Kirchway and Busch hope to keep Operation Click around for many years to come.
“Yes! Operation Click is a fun way to learn about driving safety,” Busch said.
They also do a lot of stuff with the student body to educate them about the many dangers on the road.
“We also do a course that students can drive a golf cart on and then they go through the cones and through other obstacles. We then give them glasses to put on that simulate what it looks like if they were drunk. They go through the obstacles again and try to text while doing it,” Busch said.
One thing that is very important to everyone is to teach everyone to be safe on the road.
”Always make good decisions on the road,” Kirchway said.