Phone debate creates discussion among students, staff

Many young teenagers nowadays are phone crazed and don’t know how to put their cell phone down, whether it’s to sit with the family or friends. Phones have become a big concern in society’s eyes, and even though students can interact with one another, excessive phone use can bring up lots of controversy.
The rules have changed about phones.Now it doesn’t matter how old you are in order to have a phone.
“I was 14 when I got my first phone, 8th grade graduation,” said math teacher Stephanie Bishop.
Phones are such a necessity in life that most of this generation must have them on at all times.
“I personally keep my phone on, so I get notified if I have text, but I also use it for an alarm clock,” said sophomore Nathalaan Jones.
According to abc.net, cell phones also have caused interrupted sleep and excessive phone use at night may lead to unhealthy sleep patterns and/or depression.
“I stay up for hours texting and on the phone, even on school nights,” said freshman Wade Gaunky.
Social media has also been a cause of this phone frenzy. This generation must see all the latest updates on everything, including celebrities and friends.
“I use Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter every day. I will admit, I unlock my phone more than 20 times a day,” Jones said.
Phones also have a huge impact on lives, socially and in general.
“My phone has made it much easier for me to contact people, but social media has impacted how I utilize my time,” Bishop said.
The “bring your own technology” (BYOT) initiative definitely gives students responsibility with this freedom to use their phones and other electronics in school.
“I feel it is a good rule if students only use it for educational purposes and keep it away during other times,” said English teacher Tom New.
In fact, using social media apps in school has caused a bit of disruption during class time.
“They can be very helpful if the apps are educational, otherwise no one can focus and students are wasting their education,” Bishop said.
Although school Wi-Fi blocks apps, student still use social media apps within their data.
“I think any inappropriate sites should be blocked. Other than that, nothing should be blocked,” Gaunky said.
In general, phones are used to be a better society.
“I do recommend a phone because it is always awesome to have a way to communicate and occupy any down time,” Bishop said.