VFW names North teacher a Civic Educator

Social studies teacher Erin Wise is recognized as the VFW Civic Educator of the Year for her work in the classroom, in the community, and as a spokesperson for North’s Democracy School status.
Social studies department chair, Chris Kubic, along with the rest of the social studies teachers decided collectively to nominate Wise for the award at the local level.
“[Wise] is always getting students involved in the political process, as she did with election judges. She was also instrumental in getting our Democracy School status,” Kubic said.
Kubic along with the rest of the social studies department look for a teacher to nominate every year who involves their students in the community in a meaningful way.
“I feel grateful for this honor. This is my second year at North, and I feel honored to have been nominated by my colleagues,” Wise said.
Being actively involved as the NHS co-sponsor as well as teaching Honors and AP Government, Wise has many responsibilities. She also took on the responsibility this year of nominating Grayslake North for Democracy School recognition through the McCormick Foundation, which advocates for civic education in Illinois.
“The award recognizes teachers who promote patriotism and responsibility, and Mrs. Wise did a lot with the local election and getting students involved,” Kubic said.
Wise was nominated at the local level with other teachers from schools in the area, and local representative of the Grayslake VFW Post 2245 Paul Ahern took part in the selection process, looking for a teacher who best exemplifies a civic educator.
“[Wise’s] promotion of active citizenship by students, and her prominent role in enabling Grayslake North High School to qualify and be designated as a Democracy School set her nomination apart,” Ahern said.
Wise was chosen to advance to the district level, and she was surprised to also win that honor and move on to the state level. The winner at the state level will be announced by late February or early March. In the meantime, Wise is grateful for the opportunity and the prestige that comes with the award in connection to the Veterans of Foreign War.