Students train to become election judges in upcoming election

For the upcoming election, students will have the opportunity to get a hands-on learning experience. Government teacher Erin Wise informed her students of an opportunity to be an election judge, where they could work at various polling sites in Lake County.
“To be an election judge, you had to be a junior or senior with a GPA of at least a 3.0 and be willing to attend a training and work all day on election day, Tuesday, Nov. 4,” she said.
At the training session, students watched a PowerPoint lesson and then simulated their jobs on the actual election day. Student election judges who have already attended the training are eligible to be judges in upcoming elections for the next two years without attending another training session.
“Election judges prepared by attending a 3 hour training here at North given by the Lake County Clerk’s office. The students had to follow along to a very detailed presentation and were able to practice what their role will be like on election day,” Wise said.
On Nov. 4, election judges must be willing to work from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. They will make a small stipend and can earn more money for traveling outside of their community, taking a “refresher class” online or attending extra training to become certified for other jobs.
For students, election judging is an exciting opporunity to feel more involved in the community.
“Even if you can’t vote yet, it makes you feel like a bigger part of the government,” said senior Alicia Hook. “It will also prepare us to be more educated citizens of the community.”
Senior Justin Smith has been the student liason for the election judging project. He has sent emails reminding his fellow election judges of their jobs and expectations, as well as helped Wise. He feels that being an election judge is an honor.
“As an election judge, you have the opportunity to represent your government and really be a part of a system that enacts change in our community,” he said.
Besides helping the community, student election judges are benefitting themselves.
“Being an election judge prepares students for the future because it teaches them about the importance of our local government and just how important voting is,” Smith said.