Politician Bob Dold seeks to inform students about civic engagement

In hopes of enlightening the minds of future voters, politician Representative Robert Dold traveled to North to inform students of the upcoming election as a part of his campaign.
The former State Congress Representative visited the school on Monday, September 29, and spoke during the day in B162, as well as the black box. Dold not only highlighted his political ideals, but he also encouraged young citizens to follow their passions, regardless if it be politics or not.
“After college, I applied for an internship at the White House in the advance office, and I traveled to set up events,” he said.
As he detailed his experience as a young adult, he put much emphasis on applying for the job on his own while taking new opportunities. If he neglected pursuing politics, a government official would never have said to ‘get this kid on the road as fast as you can; he can travel with me anytime’.
In an open circle around Dold, students sat ready to absorb the politician’s advice and expertise during their lunch periods.
“In the lunch conversation, we asked him ‘are you really representing the people?’”, said social studies department chairman Christopher Kubic. “It was really nice to be able to get an inside perspective on what it is like compared to what the founders of the country wanted [our nation] to be.”
While many sat in on Dold’s lecture during their history class, students were also encouraged to attend during their lunch periods.
“While teaching government, it is always a valuable experience in being able to see someone with experience and hearing what life is like in DC,” said government teacher Erin Wise.
Dold talked about the prime goals of his campaign, including working to ensure that many opportunities are available for future generations.
“Students have started asking questions about ‘what do I want in a candidate? [Are his ideals] something that I agree or disagree with?’ There was that inquiry that came out of the conversation,” Wise said.
While it may be alarming for someone still relying on adults for other responsibilities to take a stance on something as controversial as a political conflict, it was important to convey the importance of civic engagement among students.
“Young people are prone to think that ‘my vote doesn’t matter’. But, if young people don’t vote, why should politicians do anything for them? It’s also about you as a representative of the group you belong to. That’s how your voice really matters,” Kubic said.
In total, the Dold campaign has traveled to over 15 schools, including neighboring school, Grayslake Central. By traveling to various schools across the Chicagoland area, Dold said that he hopes to encourage adolescent activity in politics and to inform them on the potential many have to make a change in society.
“[The presentation] shows that students aren’t as removed from politics as they think they are,” Wise said. “They can make a difference.”