North recognized as Democracy School

Last winter, history teacher Erin Wise learned about a program offered to high schools where they could be recognized as a Democracy School. She filled out an application last spring, and on Sept. 17, Constitution Day, the honor was officially public.
“We were honored and encouraged [to be a Democracy School]. The Democracy School status highlights certain aspects of our culture that we are proud of and have worked hard to build, such as incorporating student voice into what we do and encouraging students to be active in their community,” said social studies department chair Chris Kubic.
To be given the official title, the school had to meet certain characteristics. The McCormick Foundation is in charge of the award, and they award schools exhibiting certain criteria the title.
According to the McCormick Foundation website, “a healthy democracy—one that truly thrives, not just survives—depends on the informed and active participation of all citizens.”
For Wise, the award has led to new goals for the upcoming school year.
“This year we are celebrating our status by extending the focus on the civics related goals we have always held close to our hearts here at North. We are continuing to encourage student voice and leadership both in and out of the classroom. We had a school-wide celebration of Constitution Day. We have had students attend and speak at legislative hearings about the role of civics in their education and we have participated in meetings with teachers from all of our fellow Democracy Schools,” she said.
Students were also involved in the process.
“[Senior Parker Lawson and I] gave a testimony at a public hearing at Willowbrook High School for the Illinois Task Force on Civic Education. This public hearing is one of several others that will determine whether a civic education course should be a graduation requirement for all Illinois high schools,” said senior Shannon Dacey.
Civic education is simply giving back to one’s community.
“I think civic education is promoting students a learning environment where they can be leaders in the community and academically challenged. It’s important for a school to offer civic education because these students can be our potential leaders,” Lawson said.DemSchool