The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

AP Euro students travel to Europe

This spring break, some 40 students and chaperones will traverse Paris, Florence, and Venice on the AP Europe trip.

“We weren’t really scheduled to do Paris, Florence, Venice,” said history teacher and trip leader Todd Grunloh. “It’s just that it’s been six years now. Let’s go back to what we think are the three best cities that students enjoy.”

The itinerary gives students structured free time to explore Europe on their own terms, but a major draw is group interactions with famous monuments.

“One of my favorite things to do is climb the Duomo in Florence. Students love it. There are students who are claustrophobic. There are students who are scared of heights, and they’re like, ‘I don’t know, I don’t think I can do this.’ There’s kids who cry every time we do it, and then they get to the top. One of the best parts as a teacher is they’re like, ‘I am so happy I did this’,” Grunloh said.

The students, alumni of AP European History, hope to recontextualize historical knowledge by witnessing modern Europe.

“The best way to really internalize history and digest it is actually going to the places where history takes place. I think the Europe trip is a good way to do that,” said junior James White.
Cross-cultural interactions like the Europe trip will offer students personal insight into the growing discussion on globalization.

“For Americans specifically, it’s important because we basically export all of our culture and we don’t import any. We don’t really have a
sense of what other cultures are because we just spend too much time on our own ideas. I think for Americans specifically it is important to get out into the world,”said junior Delaney Obrycki.
The prospect of broadening one’s horizons not only physically but mentally hangs over the trip.

“I think the things I remember the most are the mistakes we make,” Grunloh said. “You just let your guard down, as a traveler, as a person, even as a teacher, and just realize, ‘Hey, I’m going to make mistakes, but let’s just move on.’”
Not all schools provide opportunities to travel abroad, enhancing student arguments for North to expand.

“I think we should if we have the money for it; I think we should do it more. It’s just fun, and it builds a community. It just feels like you’re kind of going outside of a school for once,” Obrycki said.

Above all, the trip offers students the opportunity to explore what is not directly present in Illinois.

“Travel is what makes me feel excited, you know? There’s a lot out there. You don’t know what it is until you experience it,” White said.