The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Owala v.s Stanley: Which is preferred?

Owalas and Stanleys

If you were to drink out of one water bottle for the rest of your life, what would you choose: Owala or Stanley?There have always been various cup trends throughout years. The Owala FreeSip and the Stanley Tumblr both have their pros and cons. The benefit to using an Owala is that a person can choose which way to drink out of it; the Owala has two features, where a person can choose to sip out of a straw or chug out of a large opening. The bottle is well-insulated, keeping ice cold overnight or for around 15 hours. The benefit to using a Stanley Tumblr is it is vacuum insulated, and it is said that it keeps ice cold for a little under two days. The 40 ounce cup may seem excessive, but it can be used as a defense weapon in case of emergency.

“My go-to is my Stanley, but I like the one with the top handle, not the one with this side handle,” said Owala and Stanley cup owner/teacher Erin Wise. “I feel like it’s easier for me to carry a bunch of stuff that I’m usually carrying around with me when I use this cup.”

These cups also have several different versions and unique traits to each bottle. The Stanley cup has a Tumbler with a side or top handle or a smaller mug shaped bottle. The Owala has their FreeSip cup and their Tumbler, which is very comparable to the Stanley.

“I would say the Stanley with the top handles compared to the side handle is better,” said Stanley owner sophomore Ava Sheridan.

Each brand expresses their creativity through the colors of the cups. Owala uses multiple colors in their bottles, while Stanley normally sticks to one color theme per bottle.

“My current Owalas I got two years ago, so they’re really bright colors,” said Owala and Stanley owner science teacher Nathania Busse. “I think now I would want more muted colors.”