The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Snowcoming Dance starts new traditions

Total Image Photography
Student participates in the axe throwing inflatable at the Snowcoming Dance.

Blue and white streamers flow down the hall, around each door, and at the very entrance of the school. Students dressed in formal attire begin to enter as the music begins to become louder and louder and echoes in the hallways.

North recently hosted a Snowcoming Winter Dance on Saturday, January 27. Students were encouraged to participate, as this year is the first year since the pandemic of such a dance happening during this time. The dance offered catering by Chick-fil-A and inflatable activities such as ax throwing, a snow globe photo booth and more. There was also a Mario Kart tournament from the Gaming Club and an iceless ice rink.

“This definitely isn’t something I expected them to do,” said sophomore Zuri Ongalo. “I wasn’t even sure how to feel because I was so used to Homecoming being the dance to look forward to.”
Students were charged only $20 all week during ticket sales and $30 at the door, unlike previous dances where prices increased by $5 toward the end of the week.
“I was actually interested in the ice rink. I thought it was a fun way to be childish and carefree again. That’s why I appreciated the effort Stuco put in,” said junior Maddy Porter.
Student Council helped organize and support the dance during the weeks leading up to it. They divided the freshmen and sophomores into a committee and formed groups within the committee to make the most out of the dance.

“In Stuco, we had to start off by deciding what we were going to do for the dance, decorations, music, activities etc, but then as we got closer to the date, we had to work on ticket sales and letting the students know about the dance,” said senior Hannah Han.
Stuco also had to decide the formality of the event. The topic of discussion was between long prom style dresses and shorter homecoming dresses. They decided to make the event more based toward the homecoming attire.

“I’m just lucky my homecoming dress was already blue. I really didn’t want to buy another
dress,” Ongalo said.

The dance was a great chance for underclassmen to experience a typical dance at North without having to wait until next year for Homecoming. Overall, with all the activities and food, the dance was a great opportunity for students to let loose and have fun.