The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Snow brings e-learning school days

On the week of January 12 through the 16, the town of Grayslake had some severe weather. Luckily, the students at Grayslake North were able to get a break from in-school days with a few e-learning days.
These school days brought many joy,  teaching and learning from the comfort of their homes. For some, it brought back memories of the lockdown days. Though it was a good break from school, many are glad to be back in school with the weather somewhat normal.
“I do like to work online sometimes. Maybe once a month would be good,” said associate principal for student services Megan Licht.
Having a change in the daily routines keeps one interested in the day. It gives students and teachers a break from the rigorous everyday routine they follow in school.
“I like being challenged to try to teach things differently, and I think it reminds me of all of the available resources we have. Anytime you do things the same way for too long, it gets monotonous, so e-learning forces me to mix it up,”  said science teacher Tracee Nurczyk.
The snow brings a lot of fun activities to do with family and friends. Winter comes with many ups and downs along with many memories that will last a lifetime.
“I tried to make a snowman after I got done shoveling on Thursday night, but everyone else was busy, and it was too heavy to do on my own,” Nurczyk said.
Along with many other snow day activities, people can do outdoor activities or cozy up indoors.
“I was able to do a lot of shoveling and snow blowing and got to watch some football,” Licht said.
  Although online may be enjoyable for some students, many others don’t feel the same. Some students like being able to have face-to-face interactions with both teachers and peers. When students are at home, they are prone to more distractions which could come from family members, pets, or one’s phone/other devices.
“I don’t like working online at home. You just feel like you’re not as social when you’re at home and by yourself. That’s kind of sad,” said sophomore Maddy Hanson. “I like seeing my friends on the daily.”