The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Athletes bounce back after an injury

Total Image Photographics
Senior Lucas Martinez races across the field, back from an ankle injury.

There’s always a big probability of injuries occurring in sports, especially at a very demanding level. This is why athletes should know how to help prevent injuries and what to do when injuries occur.

Many athletes have taken into account the importance of doing everything beforehand to help prevent injuries. Building routine before and after games or practice has been more and more important in helping athletes.“It is important to always stretch and know what you’re doing,” said senior Adrian Whitfield.

Not only knowing how to prevent injuries but expecting injuries to occur can help one be mentally prepared as many injuries happen no matter what sport is being played.
“It’s important to be prepared since injuries always come with sports,” Whitfield said.

When recovering from injury, not only is it important to be physically stronger when recovering, but the mental game is also very important. The mindset can help with recovering quicker such as staying disciplined and not looking back.

“Right after the injury, I started working out more to improve every day,” said senior Lucas Martinez.

After recovery, it’s important to also get muscles back to full strength whether it’s lifting or just training more frequently. It’s important to make sure no time is wasted to be one hundred percent fit to play again.

“After recovery, I started lifting more again,” Martinez said.

Setting goals from the start is important as they can help in recovery from injury and help a person improve as an athlete after recovery. Preparation and goals are essential in becoming a better athlete and help especially with an injury.

“I kept my mind off the injury and had it focused on other things,” said senior Anthony Ippolito.

After injury, it’s also important to come back better than before the injury. Many athletes use it as fuel to come back and make more of an impact.
“I focused on coming back better and stronger than ever after injury,” Ippolito said.