The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Boy varsity competes against Grant

Chris Filas

On Wednesday December 13th, the varsity basketball team traveled to Fox Lake for a game against Grant High School for an important conference game. With such a young and learning team, Head coach Josh Feinzimer and the team continue to battle through close games in the conference.

“Our Coach says that every game is a learning experience because we are a young team with little varsity experience so each game we learn and adjust,” said Junior guard Jayden Hunt. “Every game for us is an opportunity to prove our true potential because we are talented, we just don’t have enough experience quite yet.” 

In the first half, the varsity team was trailing by 10 points as most of the points scored by Grant were off fastbreaks and 3-pointers.

“The plan was to try and sag off their weaker players but that ended up not working as well as we hoped,” said Junior center Tyler Morgan. “Going into the game, I knew it was going to be a battle but I believed we could compete with them.”

Three-year varsity guard Jayden Hunt and 2 year varsity forward Uros Mitrovic combined for a total of 40 points facing Grant with both players splashing down multiple threes.

“I think I’m having a pretty solid season,” Hunt said. “I’m scoring 19 a game and averaging 3 steals which is a huge improvement from last year.”

With a score 48-65, Grant hands the team their 3rd conference loss of the season. With their 4th straight loss, the team hopes to bounce back in the next upcoming games against Antioch, Harvard, and Johnsburg, heading into the winter break tournament. 

“Every day we are improving and I think we should be able to get some big wins soon,” Morgan said.

“We are getting better and better each game and once our inexperienced guys get more and more confident, I believe we will be a huge threat overall,” Hunt said