The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Boys basketball works to improve through the season

Alex Zaragoza
The athletes look on as the boys basketball team takes the court.

Boys basketball has struggled to win games to start the season, but they are working hard to improve and get better.

With a young team and only three seniors, they have been practicing to try and get better. Coached by Coach Feinzimer, the team has been focusing on improving as a whole.

“We have been up and down this season so far.  We stand at 2-3.  We had a good three-point win in our Thanksgiving tournament and we beat Westlake Christian at home on our senior night.  And we’ve dropped some games to some talented opponents: McHenry, Wauconda, and Central.  Our offensive execution continues to get better, and we have been rebounding well as Uros has led the way averaging eight rebounds per game.  But our defense has to improve.  We want to stop teams on the defensive end, and in order to effectively do that game in and game out, our communication has to improve and we have to be willing to outwork, outhustle, and out-tough our opponents for all four quarters,” said head coach Josh Feinzimer.

Players have been spending time improving their shooting, developing a better defense, and improving their physical conditioning as a result of the increased intensity of practices. 

“I’ve been working on my shooting. It has definitely gotten better, but there’s always room for improvement. I’ve also been working on my dribbling and my passing too because as a point guard, you gotta be good at passing,” said junior Jayden Hunt.

The boys basketball team has been getting ready for upcoming matches with elevated confidence and improved skills.

“I know it sounds crazy because we lost to them by 30, but I’m looking forward to playing Central again during the second half of the conference season.  It will be a good test for us to see how far we’ve come this season.  Hopefully, we’re competitive with them and we can point to some specific things we do better in our second meeting against them.  It’s also always fun to play our rival,” Feinzimer said.

Although the team hasn’t been able to win as many games as they would hope, they have been learning from the setbacks that have been presented to them.

“We’ve been working on our defense a lot. Our defense is where it’s going to help us win a lot more games,” Hunt said.

The team’s relationship has been essential to their growth, creating a positive and supportive environment. 

“We try to maintain a positive team environment by hanging out outside of school and making sure we stay together no matter what happens,” said junior Chris Von Briesen.