The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Students participate in Winter Art Show

Hector Ocampo
Students display their art right outside of the art rooms.

As winter builds up, the art department puts up the Winter Art Show, where students can participate to show off their creativity by entering a piece of art, whether they’re in an art class or not.

From the whole week of Dec. 4 to Dec. 8, the art was displayed in the hallway outside of the art classrooms; however, the actual event took place on Thursday, Dec. 7 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

“I like that we get artwork from all of the students, so they all have an opportunity to showcase their work, and I like that we’re also in combination with the English department. So we get a cross-curricular, multiple families, and students, all being part of it,” said art teacher Randy Sweitzer.

Usually, there is a variety of art in the Art Show; however, there weren’t so many participants this year, along with not having many sign-ups for performances, which caused the performances to not happen.

“The art this year has been a little sparse. Normally, we have a lot more art to show, but I think the art that is shown is amazing. I love everybody’s artwork, even (though) some of the people might have struggled,” said senior Ronnie Coble.

Every year, the school attempts to expand the opportunities of the Winter Art Show by giving students the opportunity to perform in events such as Open Mic Night and Coffee House, and this year being Cups and Cookies for a Cause.

“So in previous years, it’s been just kind of the Art Show, and now we’ve tried to kind of make the night even bigger. In the past, we’ve had Open Mic Night, (and) we’ve had Coffee House. This year we have Cups and Coffee for a Cause, where it’s a fundraiser for the Avon Food Pantry. So we’re always trying to make it larger,” said student life coordinator Keeley Naughton.