The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Special Olympics begins basketball season

Chris Filas
The Special Olympics basketball team held their first game against Central High School.
The Special Olympics team is preparing for another great sports season this year. All of the athletes from the Special Olympics team had their first basketball game of the season on November 14 against Grayslake Central.
“I’m looking forward to watching our athletes continue to grow and improve on their basketball skills throughout the basketball season,” said sponsor Jennifer Sparks.
Though they are playing competitive sports, it isn’t just about winning. The athletes play to have fun as well. During practices, they can learn to work as a team as well as build friendly relationships.
“My favorite part about the basketball season is that I can work harder at every practice and also have fun with everyone on the team,” said senior Emmitt McConville.
The athletes are excited as they’re preparing for their upcoming game on December 12 against Antioch.
“All I can think of is the game against Antioch and The Big Game,” said senior athlete Sylvia Grice.
Teachers from North participated in a plane pull to earn money for the  Special Olympics team. The pull took place in the fall at O’Hare Airport.
“The plane pull was a great experience! Each team was required to raise at least $1,000 as a team to pull a United Airlines 737, which weighs more than 95,000 lbs. We had to pull the plane 12 feet and were timed to see how fast we could pull the plane,” Sparks said.