The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Girls swimming succeeds in Sectionals

John Selvey
The girls swim team participated at Sectionals at Lake Forest High School.

This year, the girls swimmers were able to make it to Sectionals. Sofia Diviacchi, Ariana Selea, Madison Petersen, and Malia Neils went to Lake Forest High School on November 4, 2023, and swam their best to represent North.

The swim team tends to not be well known, so the swimmers this year got the chance to partake in more school events than swimmers have been able to do in past years. This year there was a solid and well-led group of swimmers who were able to show up at Lake Forest and put in all their effort.

“Every female swimmer cut time, which alone was fantastic. And one of our young lady swimmers, Sofia Diviacchi, medaled twice, fourth place in two events,” said coach John Selvey. “I had a great group of young ladies this year, and it really felt like we had just a great vibe and team spirit considering that we don’t practice as a team all year.”

All four of the swimmers were able to show up at Lake Forest, put in all their effort, swim their best, and either place in their event or even drop a time.

“I swam the 200 free and the 100 free, and I was able to shave off time on both events and make personal bests,” said sophomore Madison Petersen.

“As one of the four swimmers who swam in Sectionals, it was a very memorable moment to be able to watch my fellow teammates drop time in the events they swam. Watching Sofia place in both her races was my favorite part of the meet as well as being able to live in the moment and sing songs and get hyped up while waiting for our events,” said sophomore Ari Selea.

With all the hard work and dedication that the swimmers put in, they were able to have a very successful outcome during their season.

‘’(At Sectionals), I swam 100 fly and the 100 back and was able to place in both my events. I got fourth in both my races, and it was by far the best,” said freshman Sofia Diviacchi.

For three of the four swimmers this year, it was their first time competing in a high school meet. Each experience was different, but surely one to remember due to placing in their races and spending time with family and friends, cheering each other on, and pushing each other to swim their best.

“The best part of the meet to me was being able to hang out with my fellow teammates and share good laughs and get ready to swim our best,” Petersen said.

Being able to make friends through a sport will always bring teammates closer together and memories that will last a lifetime.

“The best part of the meet was when we got there really early, and I was able to spend time with my teammates and sing the music they had playing for warmups, and my most memorable part was when I had my teammates Ariana and Madison there to cheer my race when I beat my times and placed,” Diviacchi said.