The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Superfans cheer on teams this winter

Total Image
The superfans cheer on the boys basketball team during a game.

When people go to Grayslake North sporting events, they are going to see fans, but not just any fans. These fans are going to be wearing the same theme and cheering the same chants.

They can be easily seen as well because they are always in the front standing and jumping because there is a leader directing them in what to do and say. The superfan leader is the one that brings the students to the sporting events and also plans the events and the themes.

For a lot of the superfans, it’s been a good experience leading the fans to cheer for the Knights. Whether it was football or soccer, it was something fun to do after school if they didn’t have homework. Students would join them to cheer on the sports teams. A lot of them are going to miss cheering under the Friday night lights for football, and even soccer is going to be missed with an amazing year.

“I wish I could watch all of our sports and activities. I think all the things our students get to participate in are great and much more fun to watch than some professional sports. I wish there were more hours in the day so I could watch more of our teams compete and perform,” said superfan sponsor Greg Geiger.

Superfans did their best to always bring fans to the game and cheer on the sports teams, giving them energy to pull off the wins. Especially in soccer, the superfans’ support helped the soccer team reach the Regional finals and win, setting the record for the most wins for the North soccer team.

It’s definitely a sport the superfans are going to miss watching.

When asked what sport she was going to miss the most, senior superfan leader Jeana Roscoe said, “Soccer.”

Football games are always fun to go to especially on Friday nights with friends. The superfans always made it a fun night and helped support the football team to reach their wins.

“My favorite game as a superfan leader was definitely the Homecoming football game,” said senior superfan leader Camden Blackwell. “We ended up winning the game, 21-7.”

During the winter, the superfans aren’t done supporting their teams. They are still going to attend games and events to show support. During the winter, there are a number of “Golden Games” planned.

“Our superfan leaders came up with the idea to focus on a few key games for each of our teams and go all out to get as many people as possible to those games since there is so much going on in the winter,” Geiger said.