The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Academic Team begins competition season

The+Academic+Team+had+a+meet+against+Central+on+Wednesday%2C+
The Academic Team had a meet against Central on Wednesday,
The Academic Team has had a season filled with academic prowess and intense rivalry. Both teams have great records so far under head coach Noah Scibbe and JV coach Pat Green. Against Central, varsity won 2-1 and JV won 3-0. The team has not only shown constant dedication to the pursuit of knowledge, but they have also developed connections and friendship that surpasses wins and defeats. The team has upcoming competitions against Wauconda and Grant.
The Academic Team consists of students with different academic backgrounds. Sponsors Noah Scibbe and Pat Green have created an environment in which any student can participate as long as they keep decent grades. Competitions are for the Northern Lake County Conference (NLCC). The team plays three matches every visit. They have practice sessions in the fall, play matches on Wednesdays, and have a battleground for official meets in the winter. The team has outstanding players, such as David Johnson, Delwin Manjali, Vinson Hernandez, and others that have played pivotal roles.
“I like having fun, just like all the random stuff I might know that probably wouldn’t be useful anywhere else. I just enjoy doing that and just having fun with a group of like minded people,” said junior David Johnson.
The team’s strength is reflected in their strategic approach to competitions. According to Coach Green, the difficulty often lies in navigating through the obscure and particular questions, touching a wide range of subjects. While the team’s success is clear in their record, competition involves the difficult process of sifting through an enormous amount of knowledge, and determination is key.
“Some of the questions are really obscure. They’re really specific, and it might be anything from science to literature to history to math. So just knowing all of the weird parts of different subjects (is important),” Green said.
The team’s success is due to the team’s talent and ongoing success of great players.
“I think students enjoy being on the team because they are able to flex their knowledge while also competing with their friends. Even in defeat, our team stays together because of the camaraderie that exists on the team,” Scibbe said.