The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

New lunch menu offers more for students

Starting this year, the school hired a new food provider, Quest Food. With Quest Food, the cafeteria menu has more of a variety in food choices for students as well as staff.

Coming with the new provider, a committee has started in order to hear students’ opinions and make them feel like they have more of a voice in school decisions. The committee meets three times a school year from now on to help Quest Food make any necessary changes.

“The food committee is designed to give feedback to Quest services on the quality of food, pricing of food, what’s going really well, and what items we want to change,” said associate principal Dr. Jeff Schagrin.

What is usually discussed in meetings is critiquing the food that is being served, new payment installments, and previews of new foods that are being considered.

“They give us new food options, and they ask us how we like the services,” said freshman Joey Clark, a member of the food committee. “We’ve tried new breakfast nachos and orange chicken.”

With new menu items still underway with positive feedback, students not currently on the committee already enjoy what is being served. With different options to choose from, students with certain restrictive diets are able to eat and drink a wide variety of alternatives.

“I feel like last year it wasn’t like they put in effort for what we wanted to and could eat, and now they noted down what students can eat so they provided more options,” said senior Brianna Alvarez.

Why Quest Food was originally chosen was because of their variety of options as well as their ingredients. They use local ingredients as well as healthier ingredients for healthier options.
“They provide more authentic options from gluten options to low sugar options,” Schagrin said. “Those kinds of things that we can give that have really nutritious choices for students every day.”