The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Football team unites during season

Imani Ongalo
The football team plays against Lakes for the Homecoming game.

Grayslake North’s football team this year is one of the youngest football teams in the conference. Even with less wins than last year, North’s team is still united as a family.

Grayslake North coaches and players are staying positive as the season continues. The team continues to improve and stay together. Their current record is 2-4 with their most recent win coming from the Homecoming game against Lakes Community High School.

“After the first half, we were losing. It was terrible. Everyone was sad,” said senior Carter Barbenbaum. “But, during halftime, the team got it all together and ended up winning the game.”

Even through their losses, the team remains together and as a family. The captains play an important role in the team to keep them together as a family and to make them better after their losses. 

“They do a good job talking to the guys and trying to get them riled up before games and stuff. You know just trying to be as positive as possible before during and after plays,” said coach Brian Palmer

Since the team is very young, they have a lot to look forward to next year since there will be a lot of returning players. For example, junior Juan Marquez is currently a captain and will return next year.

Marquez is looking forward to coming back next year. He says they need to get “consistent with our team, having good chemistry, be nice to each other as kind of good chemistry, and just like having a positive mindset around each other because if you have a positive mindset then everyone else has a positive mindset.”

The boys football next game is against North Chicago High School. They will play away and are preparing to come back with a win.