The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Girls volleyball team reflects on season, prepares for Regionals

Ariana Selea
The volleyball team works together in a game.

Grayslake North girls varsity volleyball coach Nikki Kirchway, as well as varsity team captain Macie Ahmer and junior varsity player Raygen Moore, gave their opinions on this year’s season so far.

Coach Kirchway and her players were asked how their team was coming along. They have had their ups and downs, but are currently having a good season. As a program, they have had the opportunity to strengthen their skills as well as their relationships as teammates and friends. Over the season, the team has had many bonding opportunities, bringing them closer as players, a team family, and most of all, friends. 

“We’re currently – next week – we’re going to Six Flags. We do team dinners before most conference games. So we go to somebody’s house, they like either cater and make dinner for us,” Macie Amher said. 

“This year, we have had several team bonding activities. We have had team dinners so far and our upcoming events include Fright Fest and attending the Northwestern volleyball game on October 18 as an entire program,” Kirchway said.

“We do like team dinners. Or we did like a day where we stayed after school and did like dinner, and like we played games that people like brought in, and we’re planning on doing another team dinner sometime soon,” Moore said. 

As a team, it is most important to work together and lift each other up so there is a greater outcome. Although many games are close, many of them are outstanding wins. Having an open mindset and being able to work together, as well as being one as a team, can and will lead to the outcome of a good team record.

Our record is 8-12. We have had several close losses where it could have gone the other way. We are learning from these losses to be ready for Regionals,” Kirchway said. 

Having a team that has progressed over the season, and is now one big family that knows how to work well with each other, is very important. It helps bring in many wins and a great team bond.

“The team has improved so much this season.  As their coach, I am so proud of where we are now compared to where we started.  The athletes are super competitive during games and practices.  Their hard work has made them better individually and as a team.  The team has battled through adversity (we have had a few injuries unfortunately) but this team is a family and they support each other.  It is great to see the support they have for each other on and off the court,” Kirchway said.

Our team has improved by coming together as a team and working together and pushing through games. Even when we’re down a lot in a set, we still push through and come back, and even if we don’t win we come back by a lot of points,” Moore said.