The student news site of Grayslake North High School

Knights Media

Knights Media

Knights Media

Homecoming pep rally raises school spirit for the upcoming football game and dance

Lola Brama
The senior Golden Knight nominees sat together during the pep rally before the winners were announced.

Homecoming pep rally introduces new games and activities to raise school spirit for the upcoming football game and dance

The Student Council puts a lot of time and effort into planning the Homecoming events, and this includes the pep rally. They have to plan the games, dances, team performances, and superfan interactions for this event. Also, they have to make sure that everything is fair and safe for the students to participate.

Every game we’re playing is brand new,” said senior Makenna Campbell. “We did buy like a four-way tug of war.”

Even though the games were new, the Golden Knight voting system might become the new GNHS tradition, as it appears for its second year. This system encourages a more inclusive version of Homecoming court, where teachers nominate students for the role, and students vote throughout the nominations. The Golden Knight winners were juniors Nahum Behena) and Serlyn Escobedo, and seniors Emmitt McConville and Jacqui Cordova-Marquina. 

I just felt really happy because I just knew, I had all my friends cheering my name,” Cordova said. “I was really happy because I could see my brother cheering for me.”

Even from the stands, students were enjoying the new structure of the pep rally, the games, and the performances. There were performances from both dance levels, football, cheer, and a teacher-student dance. 

“I thought there was a lot of inclusion with students, and the games were super fun and different,” said senior Marlee Jaramillo.

Before the pep rally, there were several rumors of the events that might happen, and one of these was about table surfing. Table surfing is a game that involves about 10 or more people. There is a person who tries to “surf” on the table and people who lay underneath the table, and they try to move the table forward. Even though this did not happen at the pep rally, the Student Council hopes for this to be an activity at a different event.

“But we just presented the idea to the admin on the board too late,” Campbell said. “So, for the Big Game, we were going to talk to them again and see if they are on board.”

Overall, the pep rally was a fun event, and students enjoyed the new games and performances that happened at the event.