Coaches who are teachers too devote many hours to students

While there are many teachers at North who also coach, it is important to know that they have lives outside of teaching and practice that they have to maintain. It is important for students to know the ups and downs of teachers and coaches’ lives in and outside of school so they can show appreciation.

Teachers who are also coaches spend most of their time at school. Being at school until after school hours can cause stress and life management problems. Some of the problems include time. Teachers teach at school for around eight hours; those who also coach add on another hour or two for practices and even more if it is a game. To add on, it is sometimes hard for them to establish that teacher in school and coach outside of school connection with students.

“Separation between the classroom, sometimes people see you as just a coach or just a teacher, so to kind of have that ability to flip that switch to be like yeah ok we’re in teacher mode right now, [and] now where in coach mode and sports mode. Kind of finding that balance [ is one of the harder parts],” said math teacher, girls basketball, and softball coach Brian Frericks

“It makes it busy because I have two kids and am married, so I come home a lot of nights at 7 and 8 when it’s only a couple of hours before my daughters are getting in bed. So trying to spend time with them or get them to practice [makes it] very busy”, said history teacher, girls golf coach and boys basketball coach Scott Ewen.

“Getting home late definitely impacts things at home. I miss out on my kids’ sporting events after school, and a lot of the carpooling and home responsibilities fall on my wife. I try to help out as much as I can but the time away takes its toll on my wife and kids in many different ways,” said English teacher and boys basketball coach Josh Feinzimer.

While some of the problems coming with being a teacher and a coach are dealing with time and relationships, teachers/coaches also like being able to see kids inside and outside of the school setting.

“I like the fact that I get to see students and get to know students in the school setting and outside of the classroom setting, getting to see a whole different side of people… it’s cool,” Frericks said.

“ I really enjoy being in the classroom and watching students grow academically and socially. I love seeing those lightbulb moments when a student works through obstacles to really get a concept that was difficult at first. I really value my work on the basketball floor because I get a unique perspective of students where they are engaged in an activity they truly love. Sometimes in the classroom I have to think of creative ways to tap into students’ drives and interests; that is a challenge, but it’s also rewarding to find connections with the literature we read. On the court, oftentimes, players are already intrinsically motivated to achieve success; the challenge there is getting them to work harder than they ever have before,” Feinzimer said.

“I think it’s really nice. It gives more time for students to connect with their teachers…. We can get extra help with kids especially if the kids are ineligible to play,” said freshman Zoie Glass.

Students who realize that teachers have to live outside of being coaches and teachers appreciate their time and effort to be the best they can be in school and outside of school.

‘I am grateful for them because they are taking time out of their days to be with students,” Gloss said.