GNHS Dancer…Lilliana De La Torre

Grayslake North is home to many students, each with different skills, personalities, and ambitions. And with these students comes a face that stands out from the rest, someone that represents one of the many faces here at Grayslake North High School. And one of these students is on the dance team, and that is none other than Lilliana De La Torre.

Lilliana is a sophomore high school student who has been competing in dance competitions since she was two years old. When asked why she started dancing at a very young age, she said it was because of her mother who decided she should do dance. Lilliana says that her mother is also her biggest motivator and supporter.

“Honestly, my mom decided that I did dance, and ever since that day I’ve started to dance, My mom is always my biggest supporter. She always pushes to do the best and always gives me compliments and what to do better. My mom always shows up to competitions and football games,” De La Torre said.

Lilliana is more than just a dancer here at Grayslake North, Lilliana is also a competitor for Twisters Elite All Star Cheer, Dance, and Tumble in Lake Villa. Lilliana says that what she likes about practices at Twisters is that they get straight to the point at practice and how they push you to perform at your full potential.

“Practice at Twisters goes good. We like to get straight to the point at practice. For example, if practice starts at eight, we will start at eight, and if you’re not there by eight, you’ll get in trouble. So they’re pushing you to be your best,” De La Torre said.

In general, most athletes have a song or artist they like to listen to before competing so that they can stay in the zone and compete with maximum efficiency. For Lilliana, her favorite artist to listen to is Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, known professionally as Bad Bunny, who is a Puerto Rican rapper, singer and occasional professional wrestler.

“Yeah, I would say my favorite artist to listen to is Bad Bunny,” De La Torre said.

Lilliana is a dancer, sister, daughter, and friend to a number of people here in Grayslake, which is also the reason why she stands out as a student-athlete here at Grayslake North.