PSP plans new events for Spring ’23

North’s PSP class has opened up a new realm of community service possibilities this year because of the reformation of PSP’s goals, collaboration between classmates and finally PSP’s brand-new planned events.

This year, North’s Public Service Practicum class gained a brand new teacher, Ashley Kunz.

Kunz has taught PSP class how to connect within the community, to learn the interests and concerns of the students and staff.

“This year we’re getting more involved and trying to do things that have roots in the interests of the community and student body,” said senior Nevena Erceg.

PSP’s driving goal within the classroom has become centered on what the students want to see happen in their community. The students have been looking at community service from a different angle, gaining attention from North’s students and staff.

“PSP has changed compared to previous years because of the new teacher Ashley Kunz. I think the curriculum has also changed. PSP has also become more well known to the school, which l hope will engage more students to join,” said senior Emily Gaeding.

This class has brought joy to its students, creating a connective environment where the students feel heard.

“I like the environment we have created in class. I feel extremely comfortable sharing my ideas because everyone participates, and I love feeling involved with our school’s decision-making,” Erceg said.

Ms. Kunz even feels a difference in class when teaching her PSP seniors.

“Each student has shown their leadership in the class, and it has been such a great opportunity for me to see,” Kunz said.

Finally, this semester PSP has been very busy planning enjoyable events for the school.

“We are also planning on a potential senior class water day and something for teacher appreciation week,” Gaeding said.

Mrs. Kunz shares another event later this semester.

“This semester we are looking forward to a Parent’s Knight Out event in March. Staff will be able to drop off their children at North to hang out with student helpers in various organizations,” Kunz said.