Heritage Society honors 75 years of D127

Photo+courtesy+of+Adrijana+Bisevac+

Photo courtesy of Adrijana Bisevac

The Grayslake Historical Society has been working on captivating residents with the anniversary of the 75th year since Grayslake Community High School opened. The exhibit tells the history of the school that was built 75 years ago and also shows the development of how the schools are now.

The history ties in with the fulfillment of each student’s dedication and determination to make the school evolve. The students’ love for school events, like homecomings, proms, and sports games, still exist today.

Charlotte Renehan, the president of the Historical Society and Class of 1951, walked through the exhibit and showed people what the school had to offer.

“One of the earliest memories is probably going to Farmers Lentis Field to make the football field behind the building. It has since been replaced with artificial turf,” Renehan said.

With exhibits at the historical society, it is a significant way to reach out to people to see how far the community has come with viewing old newspapers, old uniforms, activities students did before and after school, and transportation.

The growth of the high school shows that the people do care about this community.

“There were only two school buses to transport students because our enrollment wasn’t that great. The newspapers were produced differently since the first ones are menu graphed,” Renehan said.

Furthermore, it became clear that Grayslake wanted to branch out and grow, which split the community into Grayslake Central and North.

“Grayslake North is much newer than Central, so our history was older, and how each school was opened, like the first graduating classes,” said vice president of Grayslake Historical Society, Adrijana Bisevac.

Seeing how the traditions of the older Grayslake Community High School are connected to what Grayslake North and Central offers, it keeps the spirit in people’s heart to continue to be a part of this town.

“I think when you come here, you get a good vibe and people are invested in what happens at our school, which all of that contributes to positive experiences,” Bisevac said.

The exhibit brings people from the past to unlock those memories they have forgotten.

“We had two people who came down from the farmers market and followed our arrows to see the new exhibit and found pictures of themselves and their brother. We went out to the back and the guy pointed out the kerosene wagon. He was pointing out all of the brass fixings he used to polish. He remembered all of the areas that he had to make shine,” said Michelle Poe, executive director of the Grayslake Heritage Center.

The exhibit helps newcomers or residents to have the experience of what was given to people back then. The memories date back to when the school was first established, to now, where both schools can give the opportunities to fulfill each student and staff to love the community more.

“So the history that’s being shared here. It’s not just something from the past, you know, it connects to people in the present,” Poe said.