Knights Cafe sells drinks during lunch

Students and staff can get drinks at the Knights Cafe.

Grayslake North has been creating and supporting many different clubs, activities, and school events that students particpate in. One of the more popular activities is the Knights Cafe, located in the cafeteria.

The Knights Cafe is open most days during A, B, and C lunches. They also offer coffee throughout the school. The cafe is run by students at North. Some of those students include Sylvia Grice, River Alverio, and Lukas Igoe. The Knights Cafe sells drinks the students make themselves like iced coffee and pink lemonade. The students also calculate the total price for purchases and the change.

“I learned about working at the Knights Cafe last year when people were saying that they missed working there because they were online,” said sophomore Sylvia Grice.

The Knights Cafe sells iced coffee, lemonade, hot chocolate, hot coffee and hot tea. Each of these drinks goes for a dollar for a small and two dollars for a large.

“I’ve been working at the Knights Cafe for four years, well technically three because we were online for one year,” said senior River Alverio.

Students like River, who’ve been working there since freshman year, only got three years to work at the cafe. Skills used to make the drinks are taught to the students by senior cafe staff or a supervising teacher. The cold drinks like lemonade and iced tea are made first hand by the students. Lemonade is made with lemonade powder, water and ice. The hot drinks like hot chocolate and coffee are made by the students as well. The boiled water is used as the liquid base and the students use hot chocolate powder to make the cocoa. The drinks are served in plastic or styrofoam cups.

“I make the drinks at the Knights Cafe. It can be a bit hard, but Ryan taught me how to make them,” said senior Lukas Igoe.

“I’ve ordered from the Knights Cafe a few times, but I didn’t know it was run by mainly students. It was really cool to find out about,” said sophomore Grace Merki.

You’ll also find students that work at the Knights Cafe at stands during games in football season and other fun sports. Students can participate in similar activities through their sports or by reaching out to a friend or teacher. Students have been seen selling raffle tickets, supporting the school with team spirit and passing out merchandise to the crowd during games/events.

The Knights Cafe has made a real difference this year and is being recognized by more students. It is a great opportunity to learn responsibility and a great place to make friends and have refreshing drinks.