North hosts blood drive

Deja Robinson

The blood drive was held in the small gym on March 1.

North hosts a blood drive with Valiant once every semester, which gives students a chance to donate blood, saving three lives each donation. On March 1, the blood drive was a success with 121 students donating, beating last year’s count of 82. 

“I donate because I know it will not affect me negatively if I take an hour out of my day to save the lives in need,” said sophomore Kairi Domingo. 

“I try to donate when I can, and it’s really nice because they provide snacks and coupons when you donate,” said sophomore Sydney Grant. 

The pandemic unfortunately resulted in a massive blood shortage, so it is very encouraged to give blood if you can. Teachers and staff can also donate during the school’s blood drive. North makes it simple to sign up for the drive. 

“Students watch a presentation during their P.E classes and sign up on a google form,” said Keeley Naughton, activities director. 

“They make it easy to join the blood drive. I think if you are under 17, you have to turn in a parent signed paper,” Grant said. 

If you are looking to donate, the school will be holding two blood drives for the 2022-2023 school year. 

“Our blood drives for next school year are Tuesday, October 4th and Tuesday, February 28th,” Naughton said. 

To be eligible to donate blood, you must be at least 16 years old. If you are 17 or older, you will not need a permission slip. When being evaluated before giving blood, there is a questionnaire provided to measure any other specific requirements. 

“I would say do not be scared or nervous to donate, it doesn’t hurt much, and you will feel better morally after,” Domingo said.