Boys basketball competes in Regionals against Carmel Catholic High School

On Wednesday, February 23, the varsity boys basketball team traveled to Notre Dame Prep High School to take on Carmel Catholic High School in Regionals. The crowd was electric as stands were filled with students from both schools. It was the final game of the season, and for some seniors, their last high school basketball game of their career.

“Before the game, a lot of our teammates had little hope of winning,” said senior guard Joseph Valera. Ultimately we had a game plan to stop two division 1 players from scoring which mostly worked out.”

“I was really nervous and excited because I knew we were going up against a really good team,” said freshman guard Cameron Bates. “I knew I was going to get some key minutes as well so that added to the nerves.”

“I just wanted to go into the game positive and just try my best to win because there’s a lot of seniors on the team, and winning Regionals would be an awesome way to end their high school basketball career,” said freshman guard Jayden Hunt.

During halftime, the team was only trailing by a couple possessions against the state contenders Carmel Catholic. The team went into the second half full with confidence as they could potentially pull off the upset.

“The game plan was to really just play our game and slow the tempo,” Bates said. “If we did that we thought we had a good chance of winning.”

“Our game plan was to try and throw off their best players and lock down defensively and have our secondary scorers step up and hit shots to help us win the game,” Hunt said.

During the second half, both teams started to trade buckets back and forth. It was then till the team went on a small cold streak as Carmel Catholic grew their lead. The team fought hard all the way to the end, but sadly had their season ended against Carmel 40-61.

“Unfortunately it didn’t go the way we wanted it to go, but it was one of my favorite teams to play on, and I’m going to miss our seniors,” Hunt said.

“My favorite memory of playing basketball at North was definitely the Central game when I hit the buzzer beat to send our rivals home,” Valera said.