Prep classes are being held to prepare students for SAT

The SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) is nearing, and students are getting prepared for April 13, 2022. Many resources are out there to help students study.

“In general, the best way to practice is to practice a lot of SAT questions. That’s your best general strategy for improving SAT scores,” math department chair Kim Johnson said.

There are many ways to study for the SAT, and students started to study at the beginning of the school year. At the start of this year, there was a practice test, along with the one that just occurred when students got back from winter break.

“A good way to study is by asking teachers what they think we should review and study,” said junior Dayana Estrada .

Along with asking for reviews, there are also websites that are recommended to use for more help.

“Khan Academy is a great resource to use for studying,” said senior Mariel Morales.
Procrastinating is one of the things students do not want to do when it comes to the SAT.

“I would not cram to prepare for the SAT, cramming as in like preparing a day or two before just spending hours trying to get prepared. That is probably not going to serve you well. In general, starting several months out like January and February, having a plan about how you can study and practice the problems a little bit at a time. It’s better to go in small chunks than it is to cram all at once,” Johnson said.

Prep classes are being offered at North in person and through Zoom. Students who signed up get practice help for eight weeks.

“This year is free to any junior who registered. It goes through all the different math sections, the evidence based reading and writing sections which include English, science, and social studies. The only piece the SAT prep class doesn’t include would be the class specifically about writing the essay. But that’s a good resource for students. We have about 130 juniors registered to take that class with us for eight weeks,” Johnson said.

The SAT is not an option for juniors; it is a requirement to take. Depending on scores, it can help students get into college.

“For students, it’s college entrance and scholarships oftentimes to get into the schools of your choice. They’ll have a SAT requirement or at least a guideline that they are looking for as part of their admissions process, and then oftentimes scholarships may be available to students who score in various ranges on various topics,” Johnson said. “Schools think the SAT is important because we have something called a school report card, and the results of our juniors’ SAT go on that report card, and that’s a document that everyone gets to read.”