Competitive clubs participate in events

The Academic Team has been competing each week.

Academic Team
What is Academic Team?
“Academic Team is a fun group, where it does a lot of trivia,” said head coach Noah Scibbe. “They answer questions on various things such as history, science and many more things.”

What can students benefit or learn from the Academic Team?
With the Academic Team, general knowledge can be learned through competitions. New things can be learned being on the Academic Team. “Additionally, to collaborate, some of the questions allow you to work with your teammates and there’s a lot of things that you can learn. There’s a lot of skills you can get from being on the Academic Team,” Scibbe said.

Students who have shown leadership?
Captain of the varsity squad Ethan Waldenstron has been with the team all his high school years and is said by Scibbe to be a “really great leader, good at funneling in everybody especially in those collaborative questions,” and he is open to everyone’s thoughts and ideas.

Debate Team
What is Debate Team?
“The Debate Club is supposed to imitate Congress,” said sponsor Dustin Zubert. Zubert also mentioned that when they go to tournaments with up to 20-25 schools from the Chicagoland area, the issues debated are all written by students of the tournament. It could be possible they can be answering their very own questions they wrote.

What can students benefit or learn from the Debate Team?
“They learn a lot about politics, economics, foreign affairs, and things you may not cover in a specific class, but they can also learn things like research, communication skills, organization skills,” Zubert said. He also mentioned in some ways it’s like taking another AP class because of the amount of work and organization that needs to be put into it.

Highlights of the season
In December before winter break, Debate Club held a tournament at North with about 300 kids from local and faraway schools, and twenty classrooms filled with students doing debates. Sixty trophies were given at the end.

Students who have shown leadership?
Captain of the Debate Team senior Shivali Chingre has been named a “Great Leader” by Zubert.

What would you say to those that are interested?
It’s work, but the work is worth it because you get so many benefits from the club,” Zubert said as he reflected on the growth seniors have made compared to when they had just started.

Math Team
What is Math Team?
“The Math Team does math,” as said best by one of Math’s Team coaches Kimberly Vojack. The Math Team goes to competitions with both individual and team events. The Math Team is competitive with students of the team participating in competitions based on their grade level. Freshmen would take a test of algebra one, sophomores geometry, juniors algebra two, and seniors pre calculus, and then there are also team tests.

What can students benefit or learn from the Math Team?
“There are a lot of team events. Students get to work together on really challenging math problems,” Vojack said, and she also mentioned that it leads students out of their comfort zones in order for them to figure out the math problems with collaborating and working with other students.

Highlights of the season
Toward the end of January, the Math Team members were in their very first conference with the freshman /sophomore two-person team winning first place as well as the junior/senior eight-person team.

Science Olympiad Team
What is Science Olympiad Team?
“Science Olympiad is a club where students can compete academically with twenty-three different science events, and they get to choose which events are the most interesting to them,” said sponsor Jennifer Grutza.

What can students benefit or learn from the Science Olympiad Team?
“Definitely extends their thinking when it comes to science,” Grutza said. She also mentioned that if anyone is thinking of going into the science field they would learn things in the club that some classes may not cover.

Highlights of the season
The first invitational of their season took place toward the middle end of January with most of the Science Olympiad team members placing in the top five of the different categories.

Students who have shown leadership?
Shivali Chingre and Anna Santos have been with the team for the past years, and they are both co-captains of the Science Olympiad team, Grutza said.

What you say to those that are interested?
Science Olympiad competitions offer various s

Math Team at their conference meet

cience events like biology events, physics events, and many more science-related events. All of it is open to those who want to be a part of the Science Olympiad team.

The Grayslake North Debate Team competed at a home tournament on December 18, 2021. (Brenda Smith)