Precautions keep students, staff safe

COVID cases have been fluctuating, and right now they are on the rise. Schools are still taking precautions.

Within the last seven days, the daily incidence rate was in high transmission of 100 or greater. The seven day average positivity rate was 5.9 percent as of Dec. 4, according to the district data hub.

“Mask wearing, SHIELD testing, hand washing (are important),” said associate principal for student services Megan Licht.

With the number of cases, precautions are necessary.

“I think we are going to see it for the rest of the year,” said the school nurse Annie Swiatek.
Holidays have had an impact on the ways the virus cases proceed. Although winter holidays have not come yet, the school has already seen the way Halloween has impacted the cases. Through trick or treating, the cases have had a surge, according to the nursing department.

“Anytime there is a mass gathering without masks, it’s going to happen,” Licht said.

As of the end of November, 65 percent of students at North are vaccinated, according to Annie Swiatek.

The role of the vaccine plays a tremendous factor in the cases staying down, according to the nursing department. People that are vaccinated can still get the virus, but the impact it has on a person is not as severe. The vaccine has made all the difference in getting students back into school from elearning, but the cases are still being seen since the vaccine does not completely protect a person from the virus.

“It helps with keeping the cases down, but on the other hand, vaccinated people are still getting the virus,” Swiatek said.

Ultimately, the goal of precautions is to keep as many people safe as possible. For students to keep as many peers as safe as possible, they must continue to take precautions for the safety of everyone.

“Wash hands, keep distance, wear a mask,” Licht said.