Students sign to play for colleges

Photo courtesty of Nicole Hughes

Division one athlete Nicole Hughes will be attending Belmont University to play softball.

This month, some student athletes signed to play the sport they love most at the college level. This guarantees them to play their sport and maybe go even further after college. These very few student athletes have been working hard to play in the next level of the sport they love most.

Ever since these athletes fell in love with their sport, they sacrificed time and dedication toward their dream and their goals with their sport.

“It takes a lot of dedication and time because you have to put in effort every day,” said senior student athlete Elle Doninger. Doninger signed with Wisconsin Lutheran College to play soccer.
Senior varsity baseball player Ace Padilla shares his thoughts on dedication. Padilla signed with Western Technical University to play baseball.

“Dedication is an every day type of thing, whether that be lifting, practicing, on and even off the field,” Padilla said.

“It takes a lot of dedication to play in college because you have to be willing to put in the work, not only in practice but outside of practice on your own as well,” Hughes said.

Varsity lacrosse player Travis Standerski is signing with St. Michael’s College in Vermont.

“Ever since I’ve been playing lacrosse since 7th grade or 8th grade, I’ve always tried to do something with lacrosse to get me better at it, whether that’s as simple as playing wall ball with yourself or defending against other players,”Standerski said. “Once I knew I wanted to play college lacrosse, I would practice three times a week at least even in the winter.”

During these athletes’ high school careers, they all had different ways to improve their game. Every individual had ways to become better than “good” at their sport.

“I was able to improve a lot in high school because it is a whole new environment,” Hughes said. “I was able to get new perspectives from different coaches and even my teammates.”

Everyone had different approaches to help them improve.

“During my high school career, I would go watch other athletes play because it’s cool to see them play at a higher level than me,” Standerski said. “It definitely gave me motivation to keep going.”

As a high school student athlete, it is important to do the little things. Whether that is going to optional practices or even doing a homework assignment for school, it can benefit a dream goal as an athlete.

“Some motivation for other student athletes is to just keep working hard and take all of the opportunities you get. Go to all of the ‘optional’ practices and liftings,” Hughes said. “Always take an opportunity to get better and show the coaches you want to be there.”

In addition to hard work, it is important to reach out to college recruiters and coaches.

Doninger gives advice on how to be recruited by colleges.

“Reaching out to colleges and coaches is a great way to get noticed and to get signed,” Doninger said.

Since students will be playing for a long time, it is important that athletes enjoy the sport.

Padilla gives motivation and advice for athletes who are trying to sign for colleges.

“It really matters how much love you have for the sport because in the end, love equals dedication,” Padilla said.

Motivation is also important for the overall growth of an athlete. Standerski gives his opinion on motivating and and overall growth as an athlete.

“If you can’t motivate yourself, no amount of motivation that anyone gives you and tries to give you isn’t gonna push you,” Standerski said. “When no one is around or watching, that’s when most of your growth is going to happen.”

Not only does it take hard work and dedication to play at the next level, it also takes a great heart and to be truly passionate for the game.