Seniors explore options for college

With high school students having the thought of college at the top of their minds, staff and students discuss the struggles and to-do lists for students to graduate high school and go off to college.

On average, 71.7% of students in the country choose to attend a four-year university right after high school, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Cristine Applehans, student services secretary for the college and career center, explains part of the process of guiding a student towards a major.

“It’s really up to the student to direct them toward clusters to guide them to take classes that have a certain major’s interest,” Applehans said.

With there being over 1,800 majors to choose from, it not only makes students’ choices more complicated, but there are a variety of competitive colleges that teach the same thing all over the country, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

“I knew this was the college for me right when I stepped on campus. I just loved the student life there, being so close to the beach and palm trees. I also loved sports growing up. I just am such a competitive person and have been super interested in the statistical portion of sports. I found my major by finding what I truly love, and there is no other passion like that,” said senior Jack Kukis. He is planning to attend Jacksonville University.

Some choices might not always be so easy, as sometimes students go off to college undecided about a major, which is completely acceptable. According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, 35 percent of post graduate high schoolers go to college undecided.

One of the harder parts of finding a college is the money aspect of it all. North has many opportunities for students to gain some financial aid for college.

“We have a lot of resources. We help students with the local scholarships, but that money from FAFSA or the college itself is going to be the biggest help,”Applehans said.

Schools all over the country offer aid just for doing well in school. According to Studentloanhero.com, the national average financial aid package colleges give to students is $20,494 with scholarships and grants.

Some advice that Applehans gives about finding a college is to find what suits you and your personality. She suggests you do your research on the college you’re looking at and take a peek at the statistics of the college like its diversity, demographics, campus size, student size, and the location of the college itself.

“It is also really recommended that you go and take a college visit. School websites will always show you their best pictures of students and the campus. When you go there you can really picture yourself there,” Applehans said.

After applying, it is important that students meet with their counselors, who help guide them.

“The counseling department presented about the college process to all seniors during English classes. The counselors have also hosted several college help sessions during Knights Block periods. Several college admission representatives have visited the Grayslake North College and Career Center to meet with interested students. Counselors took a group of interested students over to CLC for a field trip a few weeks ago. Counselors are also happy to meet with their students individually to provide additional support, “ said school counselor Tim Sheehan.

Students should know that a lot of college deadlines for early application already passed on November 1 and November 15, but the regular deadlines run January 1 through 15. Sheehan also discussed merit-based scholarships which can be awarded based on students who are performing above and beyond in the classroom.

Kids don’t only go to college for the learning, but also for the experience. “If I could describe college in three words it would be exciting, challenging, and irreplaceable,” Sheehan said.

Many people who attend a college choose based on its campus rather than academics. Students often look for what makes them feel as if they belong. Sheehan also explained why he chose his school. “I went to University of Dayton (in Ohio). I originally applied because my Mom encouraged me to apply to a small/medium size school. All the other schools I was applying to were Big Ten type schools or were very large. I ended up choosing Dayton because I visited and it just felt like home. I had been on a few college visits prior, and I didn’t get the feeling I got when I visited Dayton. I envisioned myself playing intramurals on their turf field and walking from the dorms to class. I could just see it. In hindsight, I think I preferred going to a smaller or medium size school the whole time but I just didn’t know that about myself until I visited.”

Selecting a college is not an easy process. After choosing a place that suits you and your personality, what is important is finding the right path for your future.