Journalism classes form Knights Media

The newspaper, broadcasting, and yearbook classes have all combined into Knights Media this year. 

“I think Knights Media is going to be beneficial to many groups around school.  The fact that we’ll be covering activities, sports, and other groups in our news stories will only give them more recognition in school and in the outside community.  Hopefully, we’re able to show everyone the great things our students are doing here at North every day,” said broadcasting teacher Mark Lard,

The teachers have high expectations and hopes that the students will be noticed for their talents.

“So far I have written a story about boys golf and a story about mental health online,” said sophomore Robert Calabrese. 

“I take pictures, videos, and other posts,” said freshman Renee Morris. 

This club also gives students opportunities to pursue their dreams in high school and prepare them for their job in news writing. 

“I’m excited for students to keep developing skills and get excited about being part of Knights Media.  Every student is new to broadcast journalism this year.  As some areas in the Hub take shape, we’ll be able to do newscasts and other new programming.  It’s going to be very cool!” Lard said.

As Lard said, students are developing their skills for the future. There is more to just writing about the news, and podcasts, it helps with social interaction, writing up a presentation, essays and emails.

“I have had lots of good memories with this class over the past four years.  Maybe the most gratifying part is seeing students go on to major in broadcast journalism in college.  We have at least five former students in that situation now.  It’s great to be able to provide students with hands-on experiences that get them excited enough that they want to pursue it as a career,” Lard said.

“I like how students can make stories for people to see and not just teachers,” Calabrese said. 

“I think me and my peers like journalism class because it pushes us to become more social even if we already are. We are able to explore and learn how to keep a conversation going, close conversations respectfully and more in order to get the story out there,” Morris said. 

They all have good memories and something nice to say about the club, but that begs the question, how do they get involved? Do they talk to other kids through work, or talk to them outside of school and class? 

“I get involved by joining clubs,” Calabrese said.

“ I get involved with journalism class when I have to go interview people, go out to events, take pictures In order to get stories to publish,” Morris said.

Speaking of interviewing people and publishing stories, what type of stories did they publish, which one was their favorite to write and what social media platforms do they post them on? 

“So far I have put a story about boys golf and a story about mental health online, and right now I’m covering a bowling story and my favorite story was the golf one,” Calabrese said.

“ I have Instagram and Snapchat as my social media, and my favorite story I got to cover was the culinary profile story because he gave a lot of valuable information on how to get in the class at what times would be the best,” Morris said.

“The people in my journalism class are people who are interested in writing stories and other ways of getting and publishing stories,” Morris said.