LSU club hosts a dance at Grayslake North weekend of halloween

Grayslake North’s LSU club had a dance the previous Saturday. It was an event for members of LSU to spread their culture and ideals to other curious students and faculty at North. There was beautiful music, lots of dancing, and socializing with students from other schools. LSU members Dana Arreguin and Paulina Aldana helped host this event.

“I really enjoyed when in the LSU dance we all went together in a circle and danced as we were really integrated with the Central students and staff and weren’t all in separate groups.” Aldana said.

The LSU club hosted this dance for the members who are part of the club and for students who are interested in joining. Like other clubs, LSU helps students get to know each other outside certain grades or cliques. The teachers that help run the club help make the students feel welcome and create such a beautiful celebration. 

“Being a part of LSU really opened me up to many new students from all different grades all coming together to be a part of LSU, as we all get along and have a fun time regardless if we knew each other before joining the club. It also got me really close to Mrs. Alderson and Senior Rocha,” Aldana said. 

The club sells food to students at North during school to help broaden their knowledge and possibly garner their interest in taking part of the club. Members of the club work hard to serve others, gaining community service hours for all their work. 

“LSU really helps put myself out there in school by selling paletas and getting the word out there for the soccer tournament and all the events we host. It also helps gain community service hours as we go out together and help out our community,”  Aldana said.

The club is also for more than just teaching others at school about Latino heritage. It is also for building a community within the school for those with similar culture. 

“Having a close connection with the LatinX community here at North is very important to me as there isn’t a large LatinX community in a pro dominantly large white community. Being able to make friends, connections and have a LatinX experience at North has made it much easier and fun! I gained connections, friendships and a close connection to my Latin Roots while being at North,” Arrugein said.

Members of the LSU found the experience of the dance as “exciting, connecting and full of community.” The members got to spread knowledge to students, parents and family outside of North as this event was public to all schools and families. Food was made and brought from the members of LSU and their families just for the event. 

“I enjoyed being able to connect with people outside of North,” Arreguin said.  “I was able to meet some new people at Central High School and have an amazing time with them! The food was amazing as my mother brought some authentic food!”