Superfans bring the hype to Friday Night Lights

Total Image Photographics

The theme for the Homecoming game was a pink out. The superfans came dressed in all pink to cheer on the Knights.

The 2021 superfans are soon going to be coming to an end for the football season. On average, 340 people attended the home football games.

Every year the superfans get six new senior leaders to run the superfan section for the football team. The new superfans are selected by the previous superfan leaders as well as the teachers. They choose based on how he or she attends the games and how ‘hype’ the individual is based on whatever circumstances of the game, winning or losing. Senior Cody Mendoza, a current superfan leader, uses what he sees at professional sports games and takes that to the school.

“Well I actually get this question a lot. But basically I went to the Bucks game over the summer, and when people are doing the chants, I kinda said to myself ‘I got to take this to my school’,” Mendoza said.

Many students attend both the home and away games. Schools like Deerfield had a good size group of people, even though it is 30 minutes away. Students find different ways to have fun at football games because they are a great way to hangout with your friends and show school pride.

“They’re lots of fun, and the games are very hyped as the whole section is loud for a majority of the game,” said junior Brock Terry. Juniors and seniors are one of the most common grades seen at the football games. They usually occupy the first couple of rows in the bleachers. The underclassmen occupy the back rows and are usually more quiet compared to their older counterparts.

“I would say that most of the people in the superfan section get somewhat loud as toward the back of the stands they’re usually a little more quiet, and the people in the front scream their lungs out getting extremely loud,” Terry said.

If students want to possibly be a superfan leader, they have to make sure they are loud. Students have to get themselves known at all the games by being someone who stands out from the crowd and stays throughout the game no matter the score.

“We mainly look at people who attend all the games and who are hype no matter the circumstance,” Mendoza said.