New trainer starts at North

This year the school introduced a new athletic trainer, Mallory Gizowski. North has had different trainers almost every year since 2017, and the position became open again after Evan Schlanser left.

“The last few years have definitely been challenging. I have not had consistency since Alex left in August of 2017. It has been really hard bouncing between different people and having to readjust and teach each year. Many people have told me I have done a tremendous job and have hid my stress well, but I’ll be honest, it’s been a tough four years,” said trainer Caitlin Bender.

Mallory was not new to the school or program. She lived in the area and even went to high school at Grant Community High School.

“The transition has been incredibly easy. Mallory went to a conference school and is familiar with our school and the area. She has been a great fit so far,” said Tina Woolard, the athletic director

“Prior to being an athletic trainer here at North, I was working as an athletic trainer at Kalamazoo College in Michigan. I have been looking for an opportunity to come back and work closer to home. I saw this opportunity open at North, and I was very lucky to have landed this job. It’s neat to be an athletic trainer in the same conference as my high school. I was born and raised in Lake County and am an alumni of Grant Community High School. I am very familiar with Grayslake North High School and have heard nothing but amazing things,” Gizowski said.

Students, athletes, and even coworkers of Mallory have talked about how amazing it is to work with her. Many athletes have even compared Caitlyn and Mallory as “bread and butter.”

“She has taken time to build relationships with our student athletes and coaches and jumps right in when she sees a need,” Woolard said.

“Working with Mallory has been great. We are getting along really well and together have been able to provide great care. I am grateful to have someone who really wants to be here, cares so much, and is good at what she does,” Bender said.

Mallory has not only wanted to be an athletic trainer for a long time but also has a reason for going into the athletic training field.

“I have wanted to be an athletic trainer ever since I was in high school. My boyfriend sustained a very bad knee injury in high school, and that is what spiked my interest. I loved being able to watch him through his process and see all the knowledge and skills it takes to be able to return someone back to sports successfully after such a significant injury,” Gizowski said.

Trainers are an important part to an athlete’s success. If an athlete can’t get better, they can’t play. That’s where Mallory and Caitlin step in to help with injuries and more.

“My favorite part of being an athletic trainer is watching athletes succeed. I really love being around a group of healthy, young athletes and being able to help them if they were to sustain an injury. I also really like that every day is something new, whether it be injuries or knowledge learned,” Gizowski said.

Mallory, being a former athlete, knows what it’s like as a student athlete and wants to help and make sure every athlete gets back on the field, court, or track.

“I would like others to know that I have been an athlete myself ever since I could walk. I played college volleyball and know what it truly means to love sports. I love being able to help student athletes, whether that is with school, sports or just life advice. Please don’t hesitate to reach out,” Gizowski said.

“I would like student athletes to know that both Caitlin and Mallory want to help athletes. They want our kids to be able to play the sports they love. We couldn’t do what we do without them,” Woolard said.
For students who need help with an injury, they shouldn’t be afraid to stop by the athletic training room and ask Mallory or Caitlin for help.