Knights share their feelings about a new era of scheduling

This year has brought upon a few changes to North recently. The scheduling has changed this year compared to last year. There are now two different days that alternate throughout the week. There’s a “Black Day” where students will go to their 1st – 4th period classes for 90 minutes each. And a “Gold Day” where students will go to their remaining 5th – 8th period classes for 90 minutes each as well.

This change in schedule has also changed the way students use time at school, the duration of lunch, and also the due dates for assignments given to students. Students have shown they have opinions on the recent changes.

“My experience with the block schedule has been both good and bad; it’s had its ups and downs. So during the block schedule, some classes are better than others,” said sophomore Lola Brama.
Students have unique scheduling due to the classes they take. Those who have more classes tend to not have a Knights Block.

“I think I like it more because I don’t have a Knights Block. I feel like if I did, I’d be bored and start to think that 90 minutes is too long,“ said sophomore Hannah Han.

Some students are glad to not have an extra period for studying, testing or doing assignments. The 90 minute period per class seems to have a different effect depending on which class each student is taking.

“The classes I succeed in or have fun in are the best. I’m not looking at the time every five minutes, and I’m not dying to get out of the class,” Brama said.

The 90 minute period can affect students depending on how the teacher teaches and whether or not students do well in that class.

“It’s tough that each teacher has a different way they see things and to remember how each one of them do it. Like one teacher will grade things a weird way or only grade tests,” Brama said.

Since the teacher only see their class every other day, students have more time than they did last year to turn in their assignments, homework, etc.

“I love four periods a day. We aren’t as overwhelmed by homework, and the classes would be very short with eight periods,” said freshman Makenna Campbell.

Though the classes can be helpful in that way, other students feel as if the two-day gap between classes can result in forgetfulness.

“On top of that, I’m always worried that I might forget something. Some classes give us specific formulas and problems that we need to remember, but having the days be every other day I always stress that I’ll forget,” Brama said.

There are also classes last year that were significantly shorter and also popular among the students here. The new block scheduling allows students to have more time in those classes that they enjoyed last year.

“I like that I get to spend more time with my friends and I get to spend more time in classes that I enjoy. I currently have health right now, but I’m not sure how I’d like 90 minutes of a gym period,” said sophomore Hannah Han.

Classes seem to come slower for those who have classes that are mainly notes, and that includes less participation or moving around, but for those who have block scheduling without a Knights Block, it can bring upon prodigious stress.

“Sometimes block scheduling can be overwhelming because of that fact there are many lessons taught during one period which means that there is more work and tests come quicker,” Han said

Students have thought of suggestions about what they would’ve preferred when they heard about the new scheduling this year

“I would love it if they would change it to 75 minutes and add another class or another elective. It would give us more experience with friends and getting to do our hobbies more, but overall block scheduling is going okay,” Campbell said.

Teachers try to make the 90 minutes more bearable with breaks in between the 90 minutes. Students felt that they needed the time to stand up and stretch.

“You definitely have to change things to teach the way you used to teach, but as many teachers know, flexibility and creativity are key,” said health teacher Melissa Smith.

“My teachers do give me a break in the middle of the 90 minutes, but that really doesn’t do much,” Campbell said.

There are times when teachers will allow students to take a mask break in the courtyard or art classes will go outside to help stimulate the students’ minds better.

“I feel like if it wasn’t a block schedule then we wouldn’t be struggling with these problems every other day. Having a health class, an art class or a study hall for 90 minutes can also be very tedious. But sometimes a block schedule can be fun like you’re working on a fun project or you get to go on a walk around campus. It’s nice when the teachers give us this option,” Brama said.
Teachers are working hard to keep students engaged and on track, but the change in schedule has made things different for them.

“My first thought was 90 minutes is a long class period to keep students entertained; however, I have grown to kind of like it. I think it helps students with work completion and also gives them an extra day to get homework done so they don’t feel the pressure of having to get everything done in one night. I think you have to be creative in switching gears often to keep students’ attention,” Smith said.