Students prepare for PSAT

Information from Rachel Burnette

Juniors and some sophomores took the PSAT/NMSQT test on Wednesday, Oct 13. This test serves as a qualifying test for the National Merit Scholarship recognition as well as an indicator as to how well students will do on the actual SAT.

Since late September, students are handed with practice worksheets from their teachers to prepare themselves for the test. This would be almost quite frequent when students can work on practice PSAT questions so they are more confident and ready for the test.

“Some teachers give us practice PSAT questions on a daily basis that have prepared me well,” said junior student Denisa Belei.

With PSAT testing starting on Oct. 13, students realize how important the test is for their future.

“The PSAT test is important to me because I can get a gist of what the actual test is like so I know how to prepare myself for the test in the future,” said junior student Angela Caliendo.

Some students are looking for a lot out of the SAT.

“It’s super stressful because if you want a good future, you need to do well on this test,” Belei said.
With the PSAT (Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test) helping students prepare for the SAT, the PSAT is a good starting point for students. PSAT is extremely important because it is an indicator of how well students will do on the SAT. Therefore, if students do well on the SAT, students have a better chance at their dream college.

“The PSAT can be very helpful for the juniors as they can possibly earn a scholarship money based on high scores. Also, it’s great practice for the SAT that juniors must take in April,” junior English teacher Chris Fisherkeller said.

This year’s testing coordinator Rachel Burnette says how important PSAT testing is this year for students.

“The PSAT test is important for those students looking to achieve those good scores to be able to succeed on the SAT,” Burnette said.