Dance coach danced at North

Jennifer Morgan is a new coach for the dance team, although she is not new to the program. She once danced on the same team.

Morgan spent all four years of high school, 2010-2014, on the dance team, using it as a way to connect with others and keep up with school events. Her senior year was coached by current dance coach Keeley Naughton.

“The dance program at North was my favorite part of school. It was where I made my closest friends and what occupied the majority of my time in high school. I had such a positive experience that I wanted to return and give that same experience to dancers now,” Morgan said.

Keeley Naughton recalled coaching Morgan as a student.

“Coach Morgan was a senior my first year coaching the GNHS varsity dance team. She was one of the varsity captains and was a great dancer and teammate,” Naughton said.

Having experience with this team has helped her connect to the current dancers and bring a different perspective for coaches. It also helps Naughton because she knows her as both a coach and a dancer.

“I am able to form a closer bond with her because she is so young, and I feel like we are very similar when it comes to leading the team. She is honest, and I like that about her because I can be honest with her too,” said senior Itzel Gonzalez.

With her experience on the dance team, she found coaching to be the next step for her, along with spreading her love and passion for the sport.

“I wanted to become a coach because it’s a great way to continue the sport that I love so much. I also want to help other dancers fall in love with it too and share my knowledge of dance with them. High school sports in general are an excellent way to build passion and character, and I wanted to be a part of building those things in young people,” Morgan said.